Wednesday, January 21, 2009

just thinking...

so.. with the recent realization that no matter where we get stationed next (unless it's Hawaii) that my dental hygiene license will be no good and i'd have to take my boards completely over and find another patient that qualifies and basically do a bunch of stuff that i'm not willing to do, it's made me think a lot about what i'm going to do with my life to do my part and help provide for my family. I just didnt love hygiene enough to go through that hassle of trying to take my boards again. I dont even know how I'd find a patient that qualifies now that I'm not in school and dont have a clinic or facility to screen patients and take xrays on them. How would you even go about that?! Realizing that I worked my butt off for 4 yrs and earned a respectable degree that I was proud to have and made great money from and now it was all for nothing is very very depressing. I've been down in the dumps about it for days. I feel like a failure, even though I know it's beyond my control. When I took those boards (the northeast regional boards...hence the reason i'm only qualified in the northeastern states... and hawaii for some reason haha) I hadnt planned on marrying a military man and moving all over the country. I had no clue at the time where life was about to take me! I do want to stay at home for awhile while Mason is a newborn, but I didnt plan on staying home forever! I dont want to work at minimum wage jobs... I did that all through college. I love the medical field and I want a job that I would make decent money from and be proud of! At the same time, I'd love to be able to spend time at home with Mason (and our future babies if/when we have more) while they are small. Anyway.. while I was browsing the internet, I came across this article and I'm starting to think seriously about it. I wanted to get some input on it. Here is what it said:

<Medical Transcription—a Portable Career!
Military life comes with many unique challenges. One challenge you may be struggling with is establishing a long-term career. With frequent relocation required by the military, obtaining quality education and maintaining a career is nearly impossible. In fact, according to the Department of Defense, military spouses suffer from an unemployment rate that is three times higher than civilian spouses. As a military spouse, you need a career that is as portable as you are, and medical transcription is just the answer you have been looking for!

What Makes Medical Transcription Portable?
A recent survey of medical transcriptionists in the United States indicated that approximately 83% of all transcriptionists work at home—wherever that may be! No matter how frequently you have a PCS, your career can follow you. Many medical transcriptionists work for transcription companies from outside their home states.



so what do you think?? To me this sounds like a dream job! I'd make decent money, it's still in the medical field, and I could work from home on my own time!! I'm sure it's not quite as easy as it sounds.. there's always a catch, but i definitely filled out a request form for a bunch of free information about it. I just have always worked, so I'm use to having my own money. I want to contribute to my family... but at the same time, I dont want my kids growing up in daycare. If this really is as good as it sounds, it could be the answer to my worries and prayers. I'm very excited for Mick to get his first liberty weekend so I can talk to him about it and see what he thinks. I think he'll be all for it, but it is goin to require money for classes. Luckily it's online classes that I can do from home on my own time and it's a lot more affordable than regular college classes, so that's a plus! but it still costs money, nonetheless! I dont know.. it's all in the "idea" phase for now, but I know I want to do something! Maybe this will be it!

2 comments:

Susy Q said...

Hey, I know exactly how you feel!! Im a MA right now, and I could get a job anywhere around the world with it but the money I get paid sucks. So Ive been looking into other careers such as Ultrasound/X-Ray Tech. But from reading what you wrote about Medical Transcriptionists(sp), Im very interested myself! I think Im going to look into that too, and see if its something I want to do. Cuz like you, when I do have kids I want to be home with them for a bit, Im not a fan of daycares! Ive been a housewife for a couple of months now since I was hired on-call and havent heard from my job since July(they cut their hours)!! So maybe you have answered some of the questions I have had =)

Their Mommy His Wife said...

One of the girls from grits does the medical trans. job & i'm totally forgot her name. they got out last year, she has two boys.... anyways i think she loved it.. ohh Missy? do you remember her?