Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Just when I thought things were better....

I thought Mason's problems with his milk protein allergy were taken care of and we could move on and he would be a happy, healthy baby. The past two days, though, he's been acting extra fussy again and is eating less and screaming and I could just tell something was wrong. I took him in to the doctor today and now she thinks he may have some reflux going on on top of the allergy! UGH! I researched it a little online and he has all the symptoms except for the spitting up, which his pediatrician said not all babies do. So now I have to get a prescription for prevacid filled tomorrow and get him started on that ASAP so that hopefully he'll start feeling better. I hate seeing him uncomfortable and in pain. I dont mind hearing a baby cry, because it's what they do and how they communicate.. I dont get frustrated or upset UNLESS I can clearly tell it's because he doesnt feel good! I feel so helpless. I should have gotten the prescription filled today, but the place I took it couldnt fill it, because they dont carry prevacid in the form that he needs it, so they told me to go to some other pharmacy that I have NO CLUE where it is. Today has been hell with him though, so first thing in the morning I'm going to go find it and get this medicine so my little boy can eat in peace for once! I'm tired of seeing him move his head frantically searching for food and when I finally put the bottle in his mouth, he sucks a few times and then goes stiff and squeals, because he's in pain. It's breaking my heart... especially to know that it's been going on since he was born and we're just now figuring it out almost 6 weeks later! I could tell something was still wrong.. I've been telling everyone, but they look at me like i'm crazy and tell me "oh he's just fussing, he's a baby!" This mother's intuition stuff is no joke! so anyway.. that's my news for the day. I've been in tears all night, because I feel so bad for my little man, but there's nothing I can do til morning when I can get him some medicine :( please pray that this is IT and the prevacid will work and he can FINALLY be done with all this and feel better and eat happily.

1 comment:

NAME: Stephanie said...

I hope that he starts feeling better real soon!! Brayden had a SERIOUS problem with formula when he was a newborn. I think it took 6-8 weeks to figure out what exactly was going on. I had to take him to see the doctor a couple of times. The first week or two after he was born, he lost 1-2 pounds because he couldn't keep formula down at all. I first thought Brayden had some sort of allergy to milk/regular formula, so I switched him over to a soy formula. It worked fine for about a week or so, then it was back to Brayden constantly whining, screaming, crying, spitting up, etc. After that, I went back to the doctor, and the doctor said something about reflux, so I put Brayden on Enfamil AR formula. Once he started using that, we never had another problem with him spitting up or his stomach bothering him. It was such a relief to find something that worked!! He can drink milk and eat dairy products just fine.

Hopefully you're able to find something that works for Mason real soon!! I know the feeling and stress of knowing something's wrong with your newborn baby, and having to go through hell to find out what's wrong. It's tough, but I'm sure you and your doctor will figure something out soon!!