Friday May 29th:
"Mason had his 2 month check up today! I cant believe he's 2 months old already! Time is flying by! We found out he is 10 lbs and 23 inches! That puts him in the 50th percentile for his height and only the 10th for his weight, probably because of all his eating issues... poor fella He had to get all of his shots today, so of course, he's tired and fussy and sore and just wants to be held... which i have no problem with haha i love holding him. The doctor is pretty confident that we have the milk protein allergy under control with the formula, but is still slightly concerned with his acid reflux issues so she wants to send us to Richmond to see a GI specialist. The prevacid she prescribed is definitely helping, but he sometimes still acts like it's painful to eat. he never spits up, but she said if the acid just comes up his throat, that could be just as painful. Also, even though I am completely anti-cereal before 4-6 months because the baby's digestinal tract is too immature for solids, I heard from everyone that giving him a little cereal can help with reflux. The doctor agreed and told me to give him just a teaspoon or two of cereal with his nighttime feeding to help him sleep. That's when it seems to bother him the most. During the day, he is mostly upright, so the acid reflux doesnt bother him as much, so I'm not gonna give him any cereal during the day, but at night, what I thought was the startle reflex keeping him awake (constantly awaking and throwing his arms around), I'm beginning to think now is more of the reflUx than the reflEx. My mom mentioned it's possible that the acid coming up his throat could be painful causing him to jump instead of it being simply the startle reflex. Because of this, he's not sleeping well and in turn, neither am I! Hopefully this will help us both sleep more soundly Unfortunately, because he already has so many digestive issues, introducing solids this early to him has the potential to cause him more discomfort than he's already in, instead of making him feel better. BLAH! so i'll just have to keep an eye on him and take it day by day. If he starts getting uncomfortable or shows any signs of an allergy, i'll simply stop giving it to him, but hopefully it wont be an issue!
Other than that whole mess, my baby boy is in good shape, is healthy and is growing like he should be! The doctor said he's getting really strong! He can pretty much hold his head up on his own. It's still wobbly now and then, but for the most part, he's got the hang of it! He's finally started smiling (if you couldnt tell by the pics haha) and he's starting to giggle. He's getting a lot more interested in toys and he LOVES when his daddy tells him stories! He loves bath time and loves his swing (esp the bright fishies that are on the mobile above the swing) He rolled from his belly to his back for the first time. (he was not happy with tummy time that day, got mad and somehow got himself flipped over!) and he also held and shook a rattle for the first time (he didnt reach for it.. i put it to his hand and he grasped it and then shook it) It's so fun to see him learn new things and get excited about them everyday! I'm so happy and feel very lucky that I'm able to stay home with him and watch him grow. I couldnt imagine handing him off to some stranger at a daycare. I know millions of women across the country do it everyday, but I couldnt do it. Mick wants me to stay home to take care of him too. No one else is gonna be able to raise him the way we want him raised. It's like the old saying "if you want anything done right, you have to do it yourself!" So as long as we can afford it, I'll be staying home with Mason.. and then baby Negron #2 when the time comes... and hell.. maybe #3
That's all for now! His next appointment will be at 4 months! "
SMALL UPDATE since then - Mason was VERY cranky for a full week after that appointment, and I was worried it was because of the cereal, so I've stopped giving it to him. He only had cereal for about 5 nights. He seems to be doing a little better since then, so I dont think I'm going to try giving him cereal again until he's a little older. Here are a few pics from his first cereal though. (come on, you didnt think I wouldnt take a picture of that did you? hehe)
Here we go!

not too sure about it

What is this stuff??

Hey that's pretty good!!!

gimme gimme!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment