All you ever hear about on tv is what celebrity is in rehab, what TV show is getting the boot or what professional athlete got arrested.. but we are still at war and people tend to forget that, or at least choose to block it out. People are still fighting and dying overseas everyday. THESE are the people that are TRUE heroes to our country. These are the people we should be looking up to and respecting.. the TRUE heroes who paid the ultimate price and the heroes they leave behind...
On December 1st, 2010, a Marine in Mick's unit in Afghanistan was KIA after stepping on a roadside bomb. (RIP Cpl W.) Neither of us knew this Marine, as he was in a different company, but it obviously hit pretty close to home and put just how real everything was into perspective. Up until that point, I surprised myself at how well I was handling things... it felt like Mick was just away doing some training as he had so many times prior to deployment.. but after we learned of this Marine's death, the fear and constant worry that I now know all too well, set in.
However, this post isn't about me. This post is about an article I came across about this Marine's wife. The article discusses how she is coping since the news of her husband's death. In that article, there is also a link to her personal blog, which she uses as an outlet for her emotions.. so she can let out what she can't seem to say face to face (or that she just doesn't want to say out loud, because it's too painful to hear)
The night I came across the article, which ultimately led me to her blog, I knew it was a bad idea to read it, but I couldn't help it. I stayed up until 3 a.m. reading her posts from before the deployment until recently. I cried more tears that night than I have the entire deployment put together. I don't even know her, but I wish I could hug her and take her pain away. I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of pain she is in... the amount of pain any war widow is in. I cannot imagine how I would react if I saw men in uniform walking to my door to tell my my husband isn't coming home. I hope I never have to know what that's like. I wish no one had to know what that felt like.
The reason I chose to share this story on my blog is because, as heartbreaking as it is to read, her blog is TRULY inspirational and also because, as stated in the article, she wants her blog out there to keep the memory of her husband alive and so people know the love they shared and the sacrifice he made. I feel like passing her blog on is the least I can do. Like I said, I dont know her personally, but I can tell from her blog that she is an AMAZING woman... so strong, so courageous, so inspiring. She has her bad days, which is expected, but overall, the progress she's made in a short amount of time is outstanding! She continues to fight and LIVE when many of us would have given up and let the sadness consume us. She continues to blog as an outlet, obviously, but also because of the constant support and encouragement she has been getting to continue. Her blog has gone from a small number of followers to over 300 and constantly growing, because so many people are inspired by her, supporting her, praying for her, and rooting for her every step of the way.
One woman was so inspired and touched by her story, she even made a youtube video about her.
so, if any of you can work up the courage and have a box of kleenex's on hand, I encourage you to take a look at her blog. and please, hug and hold on tighly to those you love around you. Life is too short as it is, but you just never know when someone you love could be taken away.. especially when you live the life of a military wife. Count your blessings and say a prayer for Katie and the rest of the war widows who had to say goodbye way too soon.
Katie, you'll probably never see this, but if you do, know that you are constantly in my thoughts as well as the thoughts and prayers of SO many others whose lives you have touched. I pray for continued strength and healing for you. You are a beautiful woman, inside and out and I just know you are going to get through this and do great things! Your husband's sacrifice will NEVER be forgotten! He is a hero and so are you.


2 comments:
I just wrote it on Stace's blog...i feel so sorry for her when i read her story. She is such strong woman and deserves so much respect.
I think we should enjoy and be thankful for every second of our lifes bc it's sometimes too short.
Tracy, I read through the article you linked to, and just lost it, now I"m torturing myself reading her blog, you really do need a box of tissues. I really feel for her, and hope that she can over come this :(
Post a Comment