Wednesday, August 3, 2011

word vomit, regurgitated lol



I know the title is a little gross, but that's the best way to explain it.

We all know that toddlers are like sponges and soak up EVERYTHING. Even when you think they aren't paying attention, they are. For example, I got some groceries the other day and Mason decided to help me put them away. I was shocked as I watched him and realized that he knew exactly where in the fridge everything was supposed to go without hesitation! He even knew mommy's string cheese goes in the top left drawer and the veggies go in the bottom right. (I never knew he watched us, let alone paid attention to the details, when food goes in and out of the refrigerator!) Toddlers really do see and hear everything going on around them (although they tend to block unwanted stuff out.. much like men "Mason, can you come here and wash your hands please? Mason? Mason, do you hear me?") Hence, the reason we should watch our language, unless we want our sweet little two year old running around with a mouth like a sailor. Sometimes, though, it just happens. Unfortunately, today was one of those days (although I'm not going to lie, it was pretty funny)

On our way home from Mason's doctor's appointment today, I was coming up on a green-but-about-to-turn-red-light. (you know.. one of those occasions where you think to yourself "okay... do I gun it and beat the light, or slam the breaks to stop?" last. possible. second. type-of-lights) I decided it was best to stop and in the split second of my decision, I blurted out as I hit the breaks "Sh*t the bed!

I didn't think twice about my choice of words. I hadn't really even realized I said it, because my mind was on the road, not on the word vomit that had come out of my mouth. However, my sweet little boy in the back seat took every word in and then regurgitated it. I quickly realized my mistake when I heard, as plain as day from the back seat, "Sh*t the bed, Mommy, sh*t the bed!"

*hangs head in shame*

For a second, I was upset with myself for slipping up and "teaching" him a word like that, but then I was overcome with an almost uncontrollable urge to burst out laughing (ALMOST). It took EVERYTHING in me not to laugh at the complete innocence of his voice, because he obviously had NO idea he was saying a "bad word" and was just repeating his mommy. I quickly decided that the best way to deal with it would be to just not react at all... just pretend I never said it and never heard him repeat it. I kept a straight face, kept my eyes on the road and turned the radio up a notch. I knew if I so much as cracked a smile, let alone giggled, that he would realize he was on to something and continue to repeat it with that "mommy, I'm so funny, aren't I?" grin. So far, my quick decision was the right one, because he hasn't said it again, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still stored up there.. just waiting for the perfect opportunity to embarrass me. =)

I'm sure it won't be the last "bad word" Mason says. I'm sure when he's old enough to understand, I'll have to sit him down and have a discussion with him about how certain words are just unacceptable, especially from a good little boy like himself, but I hope it's not anytime soon. and I REALLY hope it's not in public, because that would be downright embarrassing. (although I'm publicly admitting today's "word of the day" anyway, but the difference is that I can't see the disapproving looks on anyone's face LOL)

Hopefully after today I'll do a better job of keeping my sailor mouth zipped shut, because while today provided me with a few laughs (on the inside), I'd rather not have a repeat any time soon! =)

1 comment:

Jennifer Eve Photography said...

Your title is so creative! The story is too cute..Andi has done the same thing. We almost got hit by a car and I said something I shouldnt have and she said it seconds later. She knows better now (she's 5)..She also knows "Hate, stupid and shut up" are bad words as well.. :)