Thursday, August 19, 2010

back to reality...

My parents just left to go back to Ohio this morning. I miss them already :( We had a great time while they were here and I'm pretty sure they had the time of their lives! It was their first REAL vacation. We took them to the San Diego zoo, La Jolla cove, took them on a whale watching cruise in Dana Point, spent a day in San Clemente.. had an all around great time =) But now it's back to reality... bleh.

I recently got an email from our FRO (family readiness officer, for fam and friends that arent use to the military jibberish) talking about communication during the upcoming deployment and this is what he said: "communicating with the Marines this time is going to be more frustrating and much slower. There will be virtually no internet or cell phone connectivity; Internet access in-country is limited to very few locations. Most communication will be through the postal system or moto-mail"

PPPUUUKKKEEE.
I'd like to put my middle finger up to those few lines, but what good is it gonna do me? I know communication is more difficult in Afghanistan than it was in Iraq, but this isnt communiction news i was hoping for. Some friends have told me though, to try not to get too caught up in what the FRO tells me ahead of time, because they hear from their husbands more than what they were told they would, but at the same time, I dont want to listen to them and get my hopes up if the FRO is right. I'm gonna try to just go into it without any expectations of how often i'll hear from him and just keep the phone glued to my hip "just in case"

We also found out the location of where he'll be. From what he told me, it seems to be more of a low-key area, but he may just be telling me that, because he knows i dont watch the news or pay a bit of attention as to what's going on over there so he figures i'll never know otherwise haha and I know just because there hasnt been much action in this place lately, doesnt mean there wont be by the time he gets there, so it really doesnt make me feel any better reguardless. We also got a tentative deployment date, but I'm sure that will change a few more times. My friend's husband is deploying next month and his date just got pushed back another week or so, so i'm wondering if Mick's will now too. Who knows. Just please remember and understand that I cant tell anyone where or when through emails and phone calls. And if the info is relayed to you, make sure you dont tell anyone else over email or phone calls.

Our pre-deployment brief is next month, so I'll hopefully have all the answers to all my (and everyone else's) questions after that. It's creepin up on us. Only roughly 2 months left. gonna make the most of those 2 months!!!!

No comments: